Monday, November 5, 2012

Baby Think it Over

In High School I was in a child development class and one of our
projects for our final grade was to take care of a fake baby for a week.
How hard can it be to take care of a doll you ask?
Well.....when you have a screwed up doll, its kind of hard!
 
His name was Fredrick Alfredo, yes we had to name them and we
even had a birth cirtificate. He even had little boy parts.
We were given a bracelet that we had to swipe on the baby when he cried
so that it would register we were taking care of him. If we didnt swipe it and actually
feed/change/sooth baby, he would continue crying.
So we got the baby along with a carseat and stricked instructions from our teacher
to not take this lightly and that it was a good chunk of our grade.
We even had to take the baby to our other classes but my teacher turned off the sensor
during the school day so that it wouldnt interupt our other classes. But the minute
school got out, the babies stopped "sleeping"
Now real babies are cute. These babies were ugly. Real babies are soft, these
babies were plastic. Real babies are REAL, this baby was fake!
It was kind of hard to take it seriously.
 
So the very first day I had the baby, I put the car seat in the back of my car and I GUESS I
was supposed to actually put a seatbelt around the carseat. We didnt have
one of those real car seat staps so I didnt think about buckling it up.
As we were driving home my brother purposly slamed on the brakes and
the carseat went flying up and hit the dashboard.
Baby started screaming.
I couldnt help but laugh because it was just kind of funny. I mean its a doll!!!
But I yelled and my brother telling him that this was for an actual grade
and I had to take it seriously. So I took the screaming baby out of the
carseat and swiped his back with my bracelet and started rocking him.
Nothing happened.
My sensor was not working and baby kept screaming.
I tried to change him, feed him and rock him and the screaming wouldnt stop.
This went on the whole night. By 12 in the morning I was like
"screw this, its a fake baby and obviously the sensor chip is not working, so into the closet you go!"
Me and my mom laughed as we covered the doll with like 100 blankets so we couldnt
hear the screaming.
In the morning the baby was still crying. I went to my teacher right away and
sure enough she had given me the wrong bracelet. So she cleared the account so
it wouldnt show that I had left the baby screaming all night. I got a fresh start.
So for the next few days I did my best at being a good mommy.
However I felt like it took a long time for my bracelet to register that I was
taking care of the baby. My other friends dolls would instantly stop crying, mine would not.
It would take at least 5 minutes before I would hear the beep from my bracelet.
But I did my best.
On Sunday I went to church  and one of my friends wanted to hold the doll.
I gave it to her and it started crying.
She started shaking the baby in a joking way...but it was no joke to me.
I grabed the doll and started soothing it. And in mid cry it just stopped crying.
The doll was broken.
Yes....I broke my baby think it over.
The next day at class I showed my teacher and she said that the baby was shut down
because it was shaken..oops.
NEVER shake a baby!
So I got a C on the project.
 
Now if you asked me if I learned anything from this project my answer would be no!
No doll can really teach you about taking care of a baby.
I'm not going to cover Lily with 100 blankets when she is crying.
Plus....real babies are much harder than fake screaming dolls.
But they are REAL, and there yours, and you love them more than anything!
7 more weeks until I get my real Baby Think it Over!
No turning back and I couldnt be more excited!
 
 
 
 
 


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hahahaha oh my goodness that's hilarious! I'm sure you will treat your real baby like a real baby. I totally agree with you that taking care of a doll isn't like taking care of a real baby!

Rebecca said...

HILARIOUS! Thanks for the laugh:)