Monday, September 23, 2013

Saying Goodbye to My Favorite Furry White Friend!

For several months Ben and I have been talking about our future with Rice.
In early summer Ben said he just didnt want to live in a house full of pee and that he thought the pup needed
to go. I was having my doubts about the puppy for those same reasons and several more, but I was adamant about tying to make it work and not giving up on little Rice. 
September came and I was pretty certain I wanted to keep him. But as the weeks went on I realized that
I was so sick of finding pee around the house and having to shampoo my carpets almost everyday. 
He doesn't like Lily AT ALL! I'ts so sad. She will crawl to him and he just growls at her.
He chews up all her toys and is really really needy. Every time I try and cuddle with Lily, he just jumps right in and literally pushes her away with his nose. I love the puppy because he was my original cuddle buddy and companion. But Ben and I are planning on expanding our family. I love being a mom and want several kids and I just feel like my energy needs to go to them instead of Rice. 
Its going to be hard enough having little kids hopefully close in age and a dog. 
I want my kids to run around the house without me worrying about them stepping in dog poop/pee. 
One day we will have a bigger house and a full backyard and I want to go outside and enjoy the clean grass. 
I tried to potty train him and everyone said it would get better after his "puppy" years, but he is 3 now
and its not getting better. I always let him go outside and then ten minutes later he has an accident. 
I just dont want to live like this anymore especially since Lily is so mobile. 
I also don't want to worry about him biting her. He has never ever bitten anyone, but you always hear 
those stories where a dog who has never bitten anyone, one day does. And its not pretty. 
I feel bad because I know he just wants moreattention. But my attention goes to my husband and my baby. 
And I like it that way. 
Now for the possitive things about Rice. 
When I first wanted a dog, Ben and I had been trying to get pregnant for about 6 months and I just knew 
something was wrong with me. I felt like a dog would help me feel better. I wanted to take care of something. So long story short, without"actual" permission from Ben, I went and bought a dog.
I walked in the house with this little white furry thing saying to Ben
"say hello to the newest member of our family"
(this part of the post is going to make me sad!)
Rice is a funny dog. He is rowdy and sweet all at the same time.
He loves to cuddle and can spend hours chewing on a bone.
We still call him puppy and when Ben starts being playful with him, Rice goes crazy.
Its so funny to see Ben run around the house and have Rice chase him. I am going to miss that.
Bens parents have a strict NO DOG in the house rule so whenever we visit them, Rice gets his own
little dog house outside. Ben and I take turns walking him and when all the nieces and nephews are around he gets plenty of run around time. They have always liked Rice and I am going to be really sad when one of
them asks me "where is the puppy" the next time we are all together.
We had Rice one full year before I got pregnant and he was really such a little comfort when I had to
go through all my fertility treatments. He slept by my side every night.
He was always so excited when I came home from work and Ben came home from school.
He would just jump and jump and jump.
I think he really did help Ben and I prepare for a baby.
Ben made me watch part of this movie where a baby wolf befriends a baby antelope.
Eventually the antelope realizes he cant be friends with the wolf anymore and they drift apart.
Ben applied it to us and the puppy. We had some wonderful times with him, but its
just time we move on.
I will always have a special place in my heart for little Rice. I know he will find a happy
home and be someones knew cuddle buddy
 Tonight is his last night with us and I am just trying my hardest not to cry.
I know its the best thing for us but it wont seem real until he is really gone.
I love you Rice!







No comments: