Monday, September 9, 2013

Home

Ben is getting so close to graduating law school and I have already had 
at least 10 people ask me if I was excited about getting out of Topeka. I'm always a little shocked and my
answer is always the same...
No, we love it here, we want to stay!!!!
The look they give me is always so funny, like a deer in headlights.
"Really, well that's a first, most students RUN away from here when they graduate"
Its true, most of our law school friends who were ahead of us left as soon as they graduated.
Most of them were from Utah and I can understand them wanting to leave so they could
be closer to their families. 
People forget that Ben grew up in Missouri and that I am from Wyoming, so really were not too far from family. We are only a little over an hour away from his parents house. 
When Ben and I were dating and he took me to Missouri to meet his family, I fell in love with 
the scenery from Topeka to Missouri. I loved the trees and fields and lakes. 
After we got married Ben applied for Law school. He only applied to 3 schools, all in the Midwest.
When we found out he got into Washburn and could start that December we didn't even wait to see if the other schools accepted him We both felt Kansas was right. 
At first I was a little shocked because there are definitely some shady areas, but I mean, what place 
doesn't have shady areas. 
(and by shady I don't mean because there are lots of trees!) LOL
But as soon as you get used to the city, it completly grows on you.
Ben and I always find ourselves driving around and finding neighborhoods that we like that we 
see ourselves living in.
I absolutely love the people. For the most part they are always so nice. I usally end up
having a full on conversation with a total stranger at a store. Lol
I also love the size of Topeka. Its definitely a lot bigger than Cheyenne but still has that 
essence of a smaller city. There is plenty of stuff to do. 
There are beautiful parks and trails and the scenery is gorgeous!
Plenty of shopping too.
There are 4 seasons in Topeka, unlike Cheyenne's 2 seasons. 
There is actaully a fall and spring. 
Usually in early April the trees start budding and the flowers start blooming. 
By May it already looks like summer. 
Summer in Topeka is pretty hot and humid, but I have gotten used to it. 
Just get me to a pool and I will be totally fine!
Fall is by far my favorite. The trees get so pretty and the weather is perfect. 
Everyone who grew up in Kansas says that winters  are terrible. Well obviously
they have never been to Wyoming from the months of Oct through April.
Now that is a cold winter. 
Topeka in the winter is like Cheyenne on a good day! 
I have made so many wonderful friends here and I know they will be my friends forever!
When Ben and I talk about jobs, I get a little antsy. 
What if a job comes up for him that's not in Topeka. What if I have to leave the place 
I have called home for almost 3 years. Leave the place that I want to call home for the next 30 years.
I know everything works out for a reason and Ben and I will end up where we are meant to be. 
But for now, my heart is in Topeka!
Its my home!!!

This is Ben and I when we first moved in our townhouse. 
Now we have a dog and a baby.
A lot has changed in 3 years!


1 comment:

Alycia Joy said...

I can't believe Ben's almost done with law school. I remember when he took the LSAT!

praying he gets a job where you'd love to be!

That's how I feel about living here in Logan... it's the last place I saw myself living, but I really love it here. :)