Saturday, January 5, 2013

The Birth of Lily


What a wonderful whirlwind this past week has been! Lily is here and she is everything I dreamed she would be. Adjusting to parenthood has been as easy as counting to 3!
I am so thankful for her and I feel a happiness that I have never felt before.
Ben and I are smitten!!!
So onto her birth.
Our plan was to go to the hospital at 7 am on Friday Dec 28 to get induced.
So the night before I was so giddy and excited and I knew I would not be able to sleep.
So I blogged, watched tv, and danced to Shakira's Hips Dont Lie (I think thats why my water broke!) 
At 2 am I still couldnt sleep so I called my brother and we talked and were laughing about how
I would probably have my water break before I actually got to the hospital.
After to talking to him, I finally fell asleep.
 I woke up to what felt like a bad cramp and stood up to go to the bathroom, and thats when
the gush came. Luckily it didnt get anywhere on the floor or couch.
So I got Ben and my mom up and we grabbed our packed bags and headed to the hospital.
We were all kind of tired and out of it, but still really giddy.
By the time we registered and they got me all hooked up, it was about 4:30.
My contractions felt like really bad period cramps, but I wouldnt say it
was real painful. Just more uncomfortable.
By 5:30 I was dialated to about a 6 so they said I could get my epideral.
I think the epideral was the worst part of labor because while they were putting the needle in,
I was having contractions and I had to sit up and it felt like I was sitting on hard rocks.
Once the drugs kicked in I felt just as relaxed as ever. Ben and my mom slept and I listened
to my ipod. The nurse would check me every hour to see if I had dialated more and by 11:30 a.m. I was to a 10 so the pushing started. At first it seemed like I was making great progess.
They could see Lily's head and she was tolerating the contractions good.
But by 2:30, Lily had not budged.
The pushing wasnt that bad, but I was getting frustrated that nothing was happening.
Lily's heart rate started to fluctuate. It would rise a lot and then just drop.
The Dr didnt want to risk anything and it had been 3 hours of me pushing, so
she though C section would be the best. Lily was stuck and they didnt want to risk having her
head come out, but her shoulders getting stuck.
So they took Ben to get ready to go to the O.R.
I looked at my mom and started to tear up, I wasnt nervous or anything, just kind of discouraged that
I wasnt going to be able to have a vaginal delivery after working so hard for it.
But the minute I got into the operating room the excitment rushed in and I just wanted to
see my baby girl.
After what seemed like an eternity of them cutting and slicing, we heard a little whimper and
before I knew it there was this little floppy thing being raised over the curtain.
It was just like the Lion King. I immediatly started bawling. Ben was holding my hand
and the tears just kept coming. It was this overwhelming sense of joy. I didnt get to hold her immidiatly and they let Ben go in the back to measure and give her a bath.
That was so hard because all I wanted to do was hold her.
When Ben finally came back holding her I lost it again. The nurse kept having to get me
tissues. I couldnt actually hold her because my arms were strapped down.
But Ben put her on my chest for a minute or so. I was immediately in love.
I  finally got to go into the recovery room. There I was greeted by my mommy and then
Ben came in with Lily.
While in recovery, Bens mom, sisters Rachel, Mary and Sarah, sis in law Jen and bro in law
Blake came to visit. I was learning how to breastfeed so my boob was just hanging out for the world to see. But I aint shy! It was really nice that they all came to see us since we didnt get to see them for
Christmas.
After 2 hours in recovery room they finally moved me into our post partum room.
IT was very nice and cozy. The first night we didnt get much sleep because every 20 minutes or so the nurses would come in and check on me and Lily.
At about 4 in the morning I had Ben get Lily out of the crib and I just held her and finally fell asleep.
I loved sleeping with my warm cuddly little baby.
The rest of the time at the hospital was pretty good. The only really bad night was Saturday night
because my belly was so full of gas. It felt like I was still pregnant and a baby was kicking me.
Gas pains are worse than contractions!
Sunday we just rested and watched TV all day. We had good food and just relaxed.
I honestly can say that labor/C section/recovery was not that bad. I found the weekend very exciting!
But after 3 days I was very ready to get Lily home.
She is an absolute dream baby and we are just so in love!
I absolutly love being a mommy!
This morning I was singing her lullabys as I rocked her and I could not even get through one
song without crying. I just cant believe this baby is mine. I feel like I have known
her little soul forever and I cant say enough how much I love her!
Now onto pictures
 
 

Our last picture of a family of 3
 
 Ah epidural bliss!
 
Daddy cutting the cord
 
 Its my baby
 
What a cute dad
 
 
 
My Christmas Clearance baby
 
P.S.
I started this blog about 4 days ago, but just couldnt get it done.
I guess its because I have a baby!:)
Lily is now one week one day old and things have gone so smoothly.
We are having so much fun with her.
More details to come on another post for another day!:)

4 comments:

Brad and Jaclyn said...

How exciting, Kalie!!! I'm so glad you shared this!! I've been checking constantly since we talked on Thursday!! :) I'm so glad everything went okay and Lily is here safe and sound!! Can't wait to meet her in person!! :) Love ya!!

Unknown said...

Love this!!!

Roseanne said...

So awesome! I'm wiping my tears reading this. I'm so happy for you guys!

Aubrey said...

I love the pictures of the birth :)