Friday, October 14, 2011

Im a Druggy!

As some of you know Ben and I are getting ready to do our first IUI. With this first IUI comes many many meds! There are to many to keep track of so I had to go get one of those Mon through Sun pill boxes that old people have. Along with pill popping I feel like I have to go get my blood drawn at least once a week. Why, do you ask...for more testing of corse! Its always "we need to have you get your blood drawn to test this hormone level and that hormone level...
HOW MANY HORMONES CAN ONE GIRL HAVE?????
Im starting to get a scar on my arm from all the needles. Well anyway on Thursday I go into the clinic at 7:00 in the morning and have an HSG which is where they check to see if my tubes are blocked by any cysts(praying none are found) They will then do another ultrasound and see if the heavy medication has helped me develop follicles(which holds the eggs) IF they are big enough I get to give myself a nice little injection in the belly which will release the egg. I already have the prefilled capsole and needle sitting in my fridge. Oh joy! But if they are not big enough we have to start a whole new cycle and do more injections(once again praying this will not be the case) There is so much I have to do to get me pregnant.  I definitly will not be able to do it the old fashioned way. But thats over rated! LOL
So here is my list of medications. Half of them I dont know how relate to infertility but I trust my Dr.
1. Pre Natal Vitamins(getting prepared)
2. Metformin-Huge nasty pills that I have to take 3 times a day.
3. Levothyroxine-something to do w/ thyroid
4. Dexamethasone-No idea what it does but gotta listen to the Dr.
5. V-Pack-something Ben has to take as well. (he has it way better off then me!)
So thats 7 pills a day. Plus my fun little needle....at least thats only once.
 Despite the fact that everyday I have to chug down these meds that taste discusting and make me want to gag, I am so thankful for modern science and medicine! Without them I would be like Sarah and not have a baby until Im 100! And even then I probably wouldnt be able to...Im not as good as her!;););)

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Hey, you've joined the medicine and lab work gang (the bruising/scars do go away)! I average 6-8 pills a day. It use to be 12. I don't think I could give myself injections, though. And Brandon passes out when he sees needles so...good luck with that :).

I'm super excited for you guys and will say a prayer for you. Your baby better know how lucky he/she is to have such dedicated parents already!

Clinton and Danielle said...

Well, good luck with everything! Enjoy the crazy that comes with it all...I'm referring to you. :)

Jen R. said...

You are so great to put yourself through so much for someone who's not even here yet. Becoming a mother is when I found the greatest appreciation for my own mom (and dad) and all that they went through and did for me. Your babies are so lucky to have such a dedicated mommy already! Excited to see you this week!

NanRomn said...

You are brave, Kalie. I appreciate all you are going through to bring a wonderful child into this family.