Friday, September 9, 2011

Music and Memories

 So lately I have been so sick of the radio at work and in my car. You hear a new song and your like "yeah, this is a nice catchy tune, I think I like it." you are then excited to hear it come on a second time. However, by the 10th time your like "ok, enough of this song!!!! So I tried pandora at work, I would put James Taylor as the genre of music/singers thinking I would get a good mix of music that have a folk sound to it. I did get that, but only by 2 different artists. They repeat the same artist over and over, just different songs. And not even the popular songs from them. SO I gave up on pandora. I am now down to You Tube. YouTube is nice but you have to think of a song you want to hear and sometimes that is tricky. Now I could bring in my Ipod, but I am just as sick of that as I am the radio. I feel like I always listen to the same stuff on my ipod. So today I was going down memory lane through Youtube and thinking of music and songs that I love and the memories that instantly come to mind when I hear the tune.  Some songs and bands are specific to a certain event but others are memories of a certain age, not neccessarily an event. So hear is my list
1. House at Pooh Corner-Kenny Loggins
Memories: My mom singing this song to me while we rocked in the rocking chair when I am 4 years old in our blue house.

2. No More I Love You's- Annie Lennox
Memories: Playing outside our old blue house in the summer listening to this song

3. Spice up Your Life- Spice Girls
Memories: Ashley Leider(best friend in 1st and 2nd grade) We did many dances to Spice Girls and when we went on a trip to Utah together with my family, we listened to the cd the whole drive there.

4. Someday(and all other songs of Sugar Ray)
Memories: 4th grade going to Mexico for Spring Break with the family. Sugar Ray was really popular Spring of 2000.

5. Enya
5th Grade.

6. John Mayer
Fall of 8th grade when I was 13 years old. That was the fall where I felt like I was coming to age and growing up. So whenever I hear John Mayer I think of me at 13.

7. Summertime- Mungo Jerry
Memories- My mom picking us up from school on the last day before summer break. We would blast the song as loud as we could.

8. Thank You-Dido
memory: 8th grade. Right after I didnt make cheerleading I was really sad, but then things started turning around and I was happy again. Then this song played on the radio and I finally felt like I was out of my 8th grade funk.(so glad I did not try out for cheerleading again, I would have missed out on so much)

9. Fleetwood Mac
Memory: 9th grade driving to school with Aaron. We listened to them every morning. 9th grade was one of my favorite years in school and Fleetwood Mac was my favorite band at that time. I was obsessed!

10. Waiting in Vain-Annie Lennox
Memory: 11th grade and wanting a boyfriend. hahaha. I never did get one. Oh well

11.  Best Days- Matt White
Memory: Summer before I left for College

12. The ping pong Song- Enrique Inglesias
memory: first semester of College w/ my roomates

13. Vetiver(all of there songs)
memory: Study abroad in London and all my friends.

14. Amber-311
Memories: Summer of 09 romancing with Ben and hanging out w/ our friends Taylor and James.

15. Anticipation- Carly Simon
memory- Wanting to marry Ben.

16. Chasing Pirates-Norah Jones
ENGAGMENT

17. Stole My Heart-Ashley Little
Memory-My first apartment with Ben when we still lived in Idaho

18. Bullet Proof- La Rue
Summer in Cheyenne with Ben

19. Cant Take It In-Imogean Heap
memory-moving to Kansas.

20. Not over you-Galvin Degra
So far this is my favorite song on the radio...but Im sure that in a month it will be my least favorite because it plays to much,. But I like it right now.

Now I have a few bands that go with the same memory that I just can not seperate.

Road Trips with Aunt Barb and My mom.
Every fall my mom would let us kids miss a few days of school and we would meet up with my Aunt Barb and her kids for our anual road trip. This tradition started when I was 5 years old and didnt end until I was 14. Our road trips were always so fun and my mom and aunt always played the best music.
1. Supertramp
2. Tears for Fears
3. Poco
4. Crosby Seals and Nash
5. Pure Prairie Leage
6. Rod Stewart
7. Styx
8. ELO
9. Carly Simon
10. James Taylor
These bands will always remind me of those years of our crazy adventures with my cousins.
Now the Artist that will probably forever remain my favorite is James Taylor. I love to sing to him and I always think about my family, especially my mom. I cant wait until I have kids so I can sing to them and rock them just like my mom did and we can create new memories.
Yay for Music and Memories!

1 comment:

Nikki & James said...

Your #1 house a pooh corner. I love it. It was ruined for me back in the day when I witnessed a car accident while that song was playing in my car. Now that's all I think about when I hear the song. Can you believe that? Such a great song ruined!